Get quote

Temporary home insurance

Find out more about short term home cover

Get home quote

You’d be forgiven for believing that if you have an annual home insurance policy then your house is covered throughout the year, whether you’re in the property or not. Unfortunately, there are some situations when annual policies may become invalid or are not appropriate for your specific needs. In those situations, temporary home insurance is the ideal insurance alternative.

If you in a situation where your annual home insurance becomes invalid, for example, if you leave your home unoccupied for a certain period of time, you would be left having to foot the bill for any potential damages that occur while the property is unoccupied.

Thankfully in this scenario and many others, there is a temporary option that will cover you on a short-term basis. While you’re not in your home, short term home insurance offers Full or Reduced Cover depending on your needs, for up to 28 days at a time.

It’s a flexible approach to insurance that offers complete peace of mind for homeowners in a range of different situations.

Getting temporary home insurance from Tempcover is fast and convenient and whether you’re getting a quote on desktop or on your mobile, you can get instant cover, 24/7.

temporary home insurance

When would I need temporary home insurance?

Temporary home insurance is the best solution for a number of everyday situations. If you find yourself in one of the following scenarios then a short term policy could be the easiest and most cost-effective insurance option.

Vacant homes

Many home insurance policies will become invalid if the house is unoccupied for a set period of time. The usual duration is 30 days but this can vary depending on the policy.

This means that if something happens to your property, whether there’s damage to the property, a fire, flood, or even a break in, then your annual insurance is unlikely to pay out if you make a claim.

If you know that your home is going to be unoccupied for a period longer than is allowed on your annual policy, unoccupied property insurance can cover you for the time after your policy becomes invalid.

This way, no matter how far away from home you are, you don’t have to worry about paying for any repairs or replacements yourself if something goes wrong.


Temporary unoccupied home insurance is also a helpful option during probate. If a friend or family member passes away and leaves a house which either didn’t have home insurance or where the existing policy has expired, it can act as a secure stop gap until probate is resolved.

With everything going on around you, it can be reassuring to know that your loved ones home will be covered until the property is sold or occupied again.

Short term rental

If your home is undergoing major renovations then you might find yourself looking for an alternative place to live. For short term rentals, home cover insurance is the ideal way to get home insurance for the place you’re staying temporarily without having to fork out for an annual insurance policy.

At what is bound to be an expensive time, it’s the best way of getting true value for money as you only pay for the duration you actually need cover for.

Policies are available from 7-28 days and are flexible to suit your own individual needs.

Temporary cover allows you to select what is covered so you get the right cover for your situation. You can choose from buildings only, buildings and contents or just contents only depending on what is right for you.

The contents and personal belongings covered in your temporary accommodation can include but is not limited to clothes, luggage and sporting and entertainment equipment.

If the planned repairs take longer than first anticipated you can quickly and easily purchase another short term policy, online at any time in just minutes.

Moving house

When you’re buying a new house, there are a million and one things you’ll be thinking about. Something you may not have considered is what happens to your home insurance if the deal is delayed.

If, for example, you plan to complete on a Friday and for whatever reason, the funds aren’t able to be transferred by midday, the sale will fall through and you won’t be able to complete until the Monday.

You might find that because you’ve already advised your annual insurer of the change of address, that your property will be uninsured over the weekend. While this may seem like a short period of time, any damages or accidents that happen while you’re not properly covered could mean you’re faced with a hefty bill, something no one wants, especially when you’ve just bought a house.

Available from just 7 days, temporary home insurance gives you the peace of mind that whatever happens, you can get comprehensive cover for the duration you need without having to adjust any existing policies. It’s the quick and easy approach to home insurance that works around you.

Holiday swaps

In the last few years, house swapping has become an increasingly attractive holiday option for many people. While you save money not having to pay out for hotels or villas, you might find that you’re faced with a huge bill if something happens to your house while you’re not there.

Some annual insurers won’t cover for holiday exchanges and even those that do may increase your excess or reduce the level of cover you receive. The best way to ensure your home is insured during a holiday swap is a temporary policy.

Say for example a couple has planned a holiday swap with another couple and their five children from Spain, your annual insurance provider will assume that the husband and wife were living in the house throughout the year.

If during the holiday swap something happened in your home and your insurance company found out you weren’t on the property, you would not only lose any no claims bonus you may have but some insurers may refuse to pay out altogether.

Holiday home swap insurance

What level of cover is available?

With temporary home insurance from Tempcover, you can choose from two levels of insurance. You can select the comprehensive option, known as Full Cover, which is the highest level available. This will cover anything that is not specifically excluded in your policy document.

The second option is Reduced Cover, also known as ‘FLEEA’ cover which means that you are covered against the specific dangers of Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake and Aircraft, hence ‘FLEEA’. Although specifically designed to cover the above perils, any associated damage e.g. smoke damage from fires would be covered as well.

You can select which level of temporary home insurance best suits your budget and needs to ensure you get the right policy for you.

What type of buildings can be covered?

Short term insurance is available for a wide range of buildings but the property you want to be insured must meet the minimum acceptance criteria. If your home meets the following requirements, we are confident you’ll be able to get a quote:

  • Be valued at no more than £500,000
  • Having no existing or deliberate damage to the building or contents
  • Have a house that has defective design or construction
  • We are unable to insure any listed buildings and other restrictions may apply

Short term home insurance could be the best way to save you time and money in a range of circumstances. Getting a quote is simple and straightforward and it takes just a couple of minutes to see how much it could save you.