19,410 Reviews

Trust pilot 19,410 reviews
Get a quote
Tempcover - Product Guides

Temporary motorhome insurance

Product guides

Temporary motorhome insurance

Get temporary motorhome insurance in just 90 seconds

Get a quote

What is temporary motorhome insurance?

Temporary motorhome insurance gives you the ease and flexibility to insure your motorhome whenever you want to hit the open road.

Choose the length of cover you need and get complete peace of mind when you’re travelling in your motorhome.

Whether you’re borrowing a motorhome or campervan or just looking for temporary van insurance just want to insure it as and when you need it, motorhome insurance from Tempcover can be the ideal insurance option.

How does temporary motorhome insurance work?

Getting motorhome insurance is incredibly quick and easy with Tempcover. The whole process takes just 90 seconds with instant cover available.

You tell us how long you want to insure for, we’ll compare prices from our panel of insurers and show you the cheapest price. Once you’re ready to buy, simply pay and you’re insured for the time you selected. That’s it.

We aim to make everything as quick and easy as possible with temporary insurance, so there are no difficult questions. To get a quote you’ll just need to provide some basic information including:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your occupation
  • Your address
  • The body type of the vehicle
  • The vehicles UK registration number

Once you’ve entered your details, you can choose to add one of our add-ons to your policy for complete peace of mind. Choose from excess reduction to UK breakdown cover from the AA.

What does temporary motorhome insurance cover?

Your temporary motorhome insurance policy comes with comprehensive cover as standard. Should the worst happen during the duration of the policy, you, your vehicle and any other third parties involved are covered.

What’s covered with a motorhome insurance quote

What’s not covered with a motorhome insurance quote

Fully comprehensive insurance on policies from 1 hour to 28 daysThe excess you agreed to pay
Accidental and malicious damage to your vanRelease from an impound (unless you buy a specific temporary impounded van policy)
Loss or damage to your van caused by fire, theft, or attempted theftAdditional drivers – we can only cover the driver named on the policy
Legal liabilities for injury or damage to another person or their propertyNo cover for the loss or damage to
Personal belongings (definitions may differ by insurer)Any goods carried in or on the vehicle when courier use is selected.
Driving in the UK, and in some instances driving in the EUTowing a trailer for profit or where it hasn’t properly been secured

Who can get a temporary motorhome insurance quote?

Our temporary motorhome insurance product will be provided by one of the insurers on our panel of providers.

We’re confident we can offer cover to most drivers looking for RV insurance, and you should be able to get a quote if you meet the following criteria:

To get temporary van insurance, you must

To get temporary van insurance, your van must

Be aged 21-70 to drive a motorhome up to 3.5t. or 25-60 for motorhomes between 3.5t – 7.5tBe valued between £1,500 and £20,000
Hold a UK driving licence, an EU or International driving licenceBe in a roadworthy condition with a current and valid MOT (unless you are using the insurance policy to take the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT)
Have been a permanent UK resident for the last 12 monthsThe vehicle must be taxed (unless you are using the insurance policy to obtain tax for the vehicle immediately after purchase)
Have no more than 7 licence points in the last 3 yearsNo modifications, other than the addition of manufacturer’s optional extras; signage, roof racks, ply lining or interior storage etc. and those designed to aid disabled drivers
Have not been disqualified from driving for the last 3 yearsBe a right-hand drive van
Have had no more than 2 fault claims in the last 3 yearsHave no more than 5 seats
Have no criminal convictionsNot weigh more than 7.5 tonnes
Not have had a previous policy of insurance declared void by an insurer

What is the cost to insure a motorhome?

The cost of insuring a motorhome depends on a number of factors including the type and size of the motorhome, your driving history, your age and location. Finding cheap motorhome insurance can be difficult, but it’s important to only pay for the cover you need.

According to a recent report, most popular motorhome models will cost between £350 and £400 to insure per year.

If you’re borrowing a motorhome or just plan to use it for a few days each year, this could be an unnecessary cost. A temporary insurance policy for 10 days based on a 30-year-old driver with 10+ years’ experience driving a motorhome worth around £20,000 will cost just £17 per day.

This could be the ideal way to find cheap motorhome insurance if you’re only using it occasionally.

Frequently Asked Questions about temporary motorhome insurance

Can I drive a motorhome with a normal licence?

You can drive a motorhome with a full driving licence if you passed your practical driving test before the 1st January 1997 as this gives you category C1 entitlement automatically.

C1 entitlement allows you to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes (7,500kg).

If you passed after the 1st January 1997 you will be able to drive any motorhome with of less than 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) which should be most modern motorhomes. If you wanted to drive something larger than that, you would have to pass an additional driving test to add the C category to your licence.

What is the difference between motorhome and campervan insurance?

With Tempcover, there is no difference between a motorhome insurance quote and a temporary campervan insurance quote. Under our temporary van insurance cover, you can insure motorhomes, campervans and some minibuses


If the campervan meets the following criteria and you’re eligible, it’s the same simple process.

To get cover, your campervan must be:

  • Be worth more than £1,500 but no more than £20,000
  • Weigh no more than 7.5 tonnes
  • Have no modifications other than manufacturer’s optional extras
  • No more than 5 seats
  • Right-hand drive
  • Registered in GB, NI or IoM

Can I use temporary motorhome insurance abroad?

Despite the conclusion of a trade deal with the EU, the European Commission has not yet confirmed the UK’s continued participation in the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), which comprises all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland. You will therefore need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in any of those countries.

Unfortunately due to the short period nature of our products we are not able to issue green cards currently but we hope to be able to resume this cover in the near future.

Is the vehicle owner protected as well as me?

It’s the perfect insurance option for anyone borrowing a campervan from a friend or family member, as it protects their no claims discount.

Unlike becoming a named driver on their existing annual policy, temporary campervan insurance is a separate, standalone policy.

If you were to have an accident as a named driver while driving the motorhome, the vehicle owner would lose their no claims discount, without even being behind the wheel. With temporary campervan insurance or temporary motorhome insurance, the vehicle owner is covered.

The cover you need for the duration you want

Full cover,
no impact

Get fully comprehensive cover on our standard short term policies - plus it won't affect your no claims discount

Hourly, daily, weekly

Choose the duration you want with 1-12 hour and 1-28 day cover available - don't pay for cover you don't need

All customised, nothing added

Customise your policy to suit your specific situation - get the policy you want and even choose the minute you want your policy to begin

Get a quote